THE AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION COMPANY
The Aire & Calder Navigation dates from 1698 and existed until nationalised as part of the British Transport Commission in 1948. It developed the canal from Leeds to Knottingley by 1702, extended it to Wakefield and then to Goole in 1826. Over the years it owned many vessels including 'flyboats' or barges both horse-drawn, towed and powered. This listing includes only the more significant powered vessels, including the fleet of 'Merchandise' and 'Compartment Boat' ('Tom Pudding') tugs.
In the 1880's a fleet of hopper barges was built in order to assist in the Lower Ouse Improvement scheme (the A.& C. N. acquired powers to control the Ouse from above Goole to Trent Falls).
From 1903 operated as The Trustees of the Aire & Calder Navigation Company.
Additional information always welcome.
OUSE TENDER 1883
OUSE HOPPER No.1 1885
OUSE HOPPER No.2 1885
OUSE HOPPER No.3 1886
OUSE HOPPER No.4 1886
OUSE HOPPER No.5 1887
OUSE HOPPER No.6 1887
ANNIE (No4 Hoist pontoon) 1909
TUG FLEET and Miscellaneous Vessels
AC.24, AC.25 and AC.26 all by Thomas Scott, Goole in 1899
Later dumb barges
All by John Harker Ltd., Knottingley in 1946
BARNSLEY yard number 209, launched 3/10/1946
HADDLESEY yard number 210, launched 3/10/1946
KNOTTINGLEY yard number 211, launched 1/11/1946
STANLEY yard number 212, launched 1/11/1946
From Terry Thwaite ...The Knottingley, Stanley and Whitley were all motorised whilst the Barnsley and Haddlesey remained dumb boats.
Return to Main Index