OUSE SHIPBUILDING COMPANY, HOOK
This shipyard was one of several in the U.K., established as an emergency measure to boost shipbuilding capacity during the First World War. It was laid down in 1916 and utilised second-hand buildings transferred from the defunct Maryport Shipbuilding Company in Cumbria. The first vessels, small naval drifters, were not completed until July 1918 and the last ship, a freighter was completed in June 1922, a total of 23 vessels in four years.
Vessels built at Hook
1918 to 1923
* photo included with vessel details
|1919||THOMAS HAGGERTY *|
|JOHN HEATH *|
|ICEFIELD * (updated 07/06/2010)|
|WAR OUSE / SHERBURN *|
|WAR CLUNY / PLAWSWORTH *|
|WAR DERWENT / ADDERSTONE|
Additional or amended information and photographs will always be welcome, please contact HOOK-BUILT
PHOTO CREDITS AND COPYRIGHT
Photos are from the Archives of the Yorkshire Waterways Museum and from the collections of Charlie Hill, Brian Masterman, members of Yorkshire Ship Enthusiasts and many other supporters of the Museum and the Riversea International website. Photos may be down-loaded for personal use but may not be reproduced in any form for commercial purposes or on other websites.
Return to Main Index